Disability Rights PennsylvaniaWork Incentives Planning and Assistance Program (WIPA)

What is WIPA?

Social Security’s “Ticket to Work” and Other Work Incentives Can Help You Return to Work and Stay Employed

The Work Incentives Planning and Assistance (WIPA) Program is a free and confidential service designed to help you to understand work rules and regulations and to access work incentives available under the SSI and SSDI programs. A Certified Work Incentive Coordinator (CWIC) can meet with you to discuss how returning to work will impact your benefits as well as recommend work incentives that can maximize your income and health care options as you return to work and achieve greater financial independence. We can also help you identify and access appropriate Employment Networks and other employment support services that can help you return to work.

Disability Rights Pennsylvania WIPA program serves  Bucks, Chester,Delaware,Montgomery and Northampton counties. (Click here for WIPA flyer)

Who is eligible?

To be eligible to receive WIPA services you must be:

Receiving benefits from Social Security based on a disability (SSDI or SSI),
Be at least 14 years old and not yet eligible to receive full retirement benefits (currently 65)
and employed, seriously considering employment, or working toward employment through school or training.

What can WIPA do for me?

A Community Work Incentives Coordinator (CWIC) will help you to understand how work can affect your benefits and develop a plan that promotes employment and enhances self-sufficiency.

What are Work Incentives?

The Red Book serves as a general reference source about the employment-related provisions of Social Security Disability Insurance and the Supplemental Security Income Programs for educators, advocates, rehabilitation professionals, and counselors who serve people with disabilities.

Additional Frequently Asked Questions:

What things do I have to Report to Social Security?

  • You are responsible for reporting your earnings to the Social Security Administration and any other agency from whom you receive benefits such as the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the County Assistance Office.

When do I have to Report to Social Security?

What is not considered income?

  1. Plan to Achieve Self-Support (PASS)
  2. Impairment-Related Work Expenses
  3. Special SSI Rule for Blind People who Work

How to prepare for Benefits Counseling?

For information in alternative formats or languages other than English, contact us at: 1-800-692-7443 Extension 400 or 1-877-375-7139 (TDD). E-mail: intake@disabilityrightspa.org.

This web page is created and maintained at U.S. taxpayer expense.