A Supports Broker is a paid professional or agency that performs a variety of duties to support a person in self-directing services and supports. A Support Broker can assist a person to exercise budget and employer authority to get the services and supports they need and be integrally involved in their community as they choose.
The primary areas where a Supports Broker can assist a person are: employer-related functions; enhancing natural supports; and service and support continuity and maintenance.
Support Broker services are optional services and are based on an individual’s need for the service. Here are some specific areas where Brokers can assist:
Support with Employer-Related Duties
- Understanding and completing employer or managing employer related paperwork
- Participation in Financial Management Services (FMS) orientation
- Effective hiring techniques including creating job descriptions, ads for hiring, strategies for evaluating candidates and informing candidates on selection or non-selection
- Determining pay rates for workers
- Providing or arranging for worker training
- Developing worker schedules
- Effective management and supervision techniques such as conflict resolution
- Proper procedures for termination of workers
- Review of workplace safety issues and strategies for effective management of workplace injury prevention
- Developing, implementing and modifying a back-up plan for staffing for emergencies and/or worker absenses
- Understanding and/or fulfilling the responsibilities of being an employer
Support with Enhancing Natural Supports
- Facilitation of a support group that helps to meet the participant’s self-direction needs
- Expanding and coordinating informal, unpaid resources, and networks within the community to support success with individual direction
- Identifying areas of support that will promote success with self-direction and independence and share the information with the team and Supports Coordinator for inclusion in the Individual Support Plans (ISP)
- Scheduling paid and unpaid supports
Support with Service and Support Continuity and Maintenance
- Compliance with the regulations, policies and the waiver requirements related to self-direction
- Advising and assisting individuals or the surrogate with the development of procedures to monitor expenditures and utilization of services
- Advising in problem-solving, decision-making, and achieving desired outcomes
- Communicating and negotiating any necessary modifications to the participant’s Individual Support Plan (ISP)
- Developing, modifying and negotiating an individualized budget
For More Information
Values Into Action Position Description for Supports Broker
- Who can use Supports Brokers and How are they Paid?
- What is a Recovery Coach (Self-Directed Services Model)?
- What is a Supports Brokerage?
- What is the Supports Broker/Recovery Coach Network?
- More Information about Supports Brokers